Does the Leica M(240) Address Your Needs (vs M9)?

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bryan Campbell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,011
Like?
My thoughts on the M240
In reply to jffielde, Dec 27, 2012

All that the M240 brings to the table has me excited, especially from the impressions Dr. Rohde has offered. There will be a few new features I may not use, but I realize that Leica is trying to expand their customer base some and that means they should be a successful business for many years to come.

The EVF I think I will use although I may not always leave it attached. I will probably use it with LiveView magnification. While it will be slower than using the Rangefinder patch, it will also be more accurate when I need to shoot f/1.4 - f/2.2

I like the increased megapixel count. 18 megapixels on the M9 is still good but 24 megapixels gives you the option to crop a bit more if necessary. Better ISO and dynamic range is huge. I've been told how much improvement there is in the dynamic range and it's very impressive. Expect better dynamic range than either the Canon 5D2, 5D3, or 6D. ISO is certainly a big improvement over the M9. I'm not sure how many stops improvement, but I would guess 2 or 3. My primary concern here is banding. Leica needs to be careful, the ISO 4,000 sample floating around out there looks very impressive IF it didn't have banding, but the entire shot shows it in both the shadows, midrange, and highlights.

I realize the samples currently out there are a mixed bag at best, but understand they are in camera JPGs taken as test photos.

Another thing I am certain of that many people surprisingly haven't talked about much is the M240's color reproduction. In my eyes it looks VERY accurate and pleasant on the eyes. The M8 color is wonderful too but maybe a bit saturated at times. The M9 color is in my eyes pretty awful, and my worry is that the M240 would look like similar the M9's color, fortunatly it does not.

Anyway, I have mine pre-ordered long ago. I'm hoping there isn't unexpected expenses that come up where I would need to cancel my order. My primary concer with the M240 is if it will have the same biting sharpness as the M8 does... I don't think it will honestly but if it's as sharp as the M9, I'll be happy.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow