Accidentally Formatted my data drive. Can it be undone?

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
newmikey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,821Gear list
Like?
Re: Best option to unformat:
In reply to Sean Nelson, Dec 27, 2012

Sean Nelson wrote:

newmikey wrote:

According to Microsoft itself, the only difference between quick format and full format is the cluster check itself:

Yes, and the cluster check writes to the every block on the drive to see if it reports an error.

Here's a reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941961/en-us

As I said, I'm not very familiar with Windows and how it developed after XP. The quoted article refers to "Change in the behavior of the format command in Windows Vista". It also clearly states that prior to Vista, full format did not write anything to the clusters. I trust that then applies to all Windows versions that followed?

The OP did not report which version of Windows he was using and also reported some time later that he had recovered about 80% of his files with Recuva, another great piece of software. These two facts led me to believe his clusters would not have been zeroed which could mean he was either using WindowsXP(or older) or had used the format command without it resulting in zeroing sectors. This is why I believed Testdisk might have been useful.

Thanks for enlightening me on that particular behaviour of Windows since Vista - one more reason to stay away from that particular OS I suppose. It does not sound like behavior I would want any OS to exhibit without me having specifically intended to have happen.

-- hide signature --
 newmikey's gear list:newmikey's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow