35mm f/2 vs. 40mm f/2.8 vs. 50mm f/1.8 for FF

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
yoursh
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Re: 35mm f/2 vs. 40mm f/2.8 vs. 50mm f/1.8 for FF
In reply to yoursh, Dec 27, 2012

yoursh wrote:

Overall, I like all 3 but use them all differently. I see that your only looking for a temporary prime to hold you over. Like it's been said, all three will hold their value when you decide to upgrade. For sheer price, if size/AF noise aren't as big a deal, I say get the 50mm. Since you plan on upgrading later, the 50mm should hold you over fine. Only go with the 35mm if you want a wider field of view and better build quality. I'd say skip the 40mm since you seem to be mainly want a wide aperture lens and while the f2.8 isn't bad, the f1.8 or f2 gives you more flexibility.

I should also note when you do decide to upgrade, I think the 50mm will be easier to sell. I sold my first one locally on craigslist in less than 48hrs from posting. 50mm tend to sell quickly in my area, while good priced 35mm lenses tend to sit on craigslist. Most likely because it's a cheaper lens or maybe it's a more popular focal length. Not sure, but thought I'd throw that out there.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow