Any experience with the new 35 IS?

Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
pentel
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
Re: Any experience with the new 35 IS?
In reply to Alastair Norcross, Dec 27, 2012

Alastair Norcross wrote:

I'm actually considering selling my 35L to get this lens. IS is very useful. 4 stops of IS is better for me than one stop of aperture. It all depends on the optical quality. If it's nearly as good as the 35L, it would be worth it. I can get sharp shots with my 24-105 at 24mm down to 1/5 on my 7D. So IS can absolutely be useful way slower than 1/15. The 35 IS has the newer 4 stop IS, compared with the 3 stop IS on the 24-105. I would expect to be able to hand hold the 35 IS down to about 1/4 on my 7D, and even slower on a full frame. I had the 28 F1.8, and liked it, but it wasn't anywhere close to the 35L in optical quality. I expect the 35 IS to be considerably better, but I'm waiting to see reviews and experience from owners. So far, it looks good.

I am with you. Most people complain about the price point, then justify their rationale by saying how not useful it is and it's targeted for video. I do agree it's priced expensive, but if you can afford it or can find a good deal, then it's worth the value. I am a FF user and I see this lens as a good travel lens, other than the 40 STM. Not only it is faster and wider, it also provides IS compared to the 40 STM.

If one says IS is not useful because moving objects will be blurred anyway, i don't see moving to 35 /1.  would help. If the Canon/Sigma 35/1.4 has IS, sure it will kill the 35 f/2 IS. However, with the proven IQ, it will be bigger, heavier and pricier.

It's probably expected the IS premium should be like $200 to the lens which is around $500, but reality says otherwise. Other than IS, you're also getting USM compared to the old one.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow