Started Dec 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,405
Like?
RAW and Jpeg what am I looking at?
Dec 27, 2012

I shoot RAW and Jpeg. Now when I compare an unprocessed RAW with a Jpeg (which isnt very often as I use RAW and Jpegs for different purposes) there doesnt seem a whole lot of difference to me (admittedly all my jpeg settings in my camera are set to default).

This leads me to ask the question what am I actually looking at? For instance when I take a photo and review it on my LCD am I looking at a RAW or a jpeg? Now I am guessing I am looking at a jpeg even if I am shooting RAW only on the basis that if I am using an art filter I can see the art filter effects.

So if I see a jpeg in my LCD is this a jpeg with the 'famous Oly colors' and processing or is this a 'sort of unprocessed' jpeg?

Now I take my RAW file and I import it into LR. What am I seeing when I look at a preview of an unprocessed RAW file. Again I suspect it is a jpeg 'processed by Adobe' from the Oly RAW file but I might be wrong.

Apologies if my questions are quite confusing this simply reflects a degree of confusion on my part.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow