Sigma 35mm 1.4 outresolves 5d mark to @ f/2.0

Started Dec 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ballwin12
Regular MemberPosts: 234Gear list
Like?
Re: Bought the Sigma 35/1.4: some thoughts on the D800E
In reply to rareshb, Dec 27, 2012

Sorry but being said that the Nikon lens gives better bokeh, I expect the backgrounds in these two pictures should be creamer. As far as what I have seen, Sigma is a better lens in all aspects.

rareshb wrote:

Thank you, Mike. I feel relieved.

I just finished paying off the Nikon 35 1.4G that I bought specifically for taking pictures of my newborn daughter (at that moment, at least). I have the Sigma 85mm 1.4 that I'm very happy with and when I had to buy a 35mm 1.4 lens, I had the choice between the Nikon, the old Nikon 35 1.4 ais, the Samyang 35 1.4 and the two Zeiss 35s (1.4 and 2.0). The Nikon was the only one with AF. Seeing the great reviews of the Sigma so far, I was quite upset. Of course I would have bought the Sigma, were it available earlier this year.

But from your report, for what I do, the Nikon is the better lens. I've found it sharp enough, I love the way it renders. There are two things that still upset me: the Sigma has better coma corrections, from the samples I've seen and of course, the price I paid for the Nikon.

Here's one at 1.4

And one at 2.8:

ballwin12's gear list:ballwin12's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow