Started Dec 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
arie
Regular MemberPosts: 396
Like?
Finally micro-adjusted lenses on A77!
Dec 27, 2012

I've been putting off the micro-adjustment of my lenses until the last two days and finally just did it with a moire pattern on my monitor. I converted the mm of the lens to feet. (mm x 50, converted to feet), then measured it out from the monitor to the calibration point. So a 50mm lens should be approx 9 feet away from the monitor.

There's a great page about the various ways to do this (among many pages out there), at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html

The results and final adjustments didn't make a lot of difference, but if you want to be spot on with AF, it's worth doing. You basically make the camera AF on the pattern, then switch to focus peeking mode to verify that it is indeed in focus. If you manually adjust it and the color peeking gets more pronounced, then you need to make some adjustments (+ or - depending on which way it's out of focus).

Anyway, probably preaching to the choir here, but my results:

Min 50mm 1.7 (+1) @ 9 feet
Min 80-200mm HS G (-3) @ 13-30 feet
Min 100-300mm APO (0) @ 15-30 feet
Tam 90mm DI SP Macro (0) @ 14 feet

If you have a big floor, you can pretty much do anything under 200mm. I cheated on the 300mm and adjusted at 200mm.

-- hide signature --

1500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat. And 15 minutes ago, you knew that people were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. -MIB

Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow