venice
Senior MemberPosts: 1,574
Like?
Re: RX-1 vs. Fuji X-E1: AF comparison
In reply to photoshoto, Dec 27, 2012

photoshoto wrote:

venice wrote:

photoshoto wrote:

After struggling with a lot of OOF shots in our xmas party yesterday, I am thinking of returning my precious RX-1 and take the restocking fee hit.

I need to buy something with solid IQ and lens, and thinking of getting the X-E1.

Has anyone had both cameras and compared the AF? Would love to know if the X-E1 performs better, and is more accurate, even if the speed is the same because of CDAF.

Also- when using flexible point focus on the Fuji, is the box small enough to pick an eye on a face from 6-8 feet distance?

Thanks..

My understanding is that the Fuji is notably worse in this regard.

Both my OMD and GH3 have excellent AF. Fast and accurate. Many excellent lenses are available for the m4/3's system.

The OMD has terrific in-body image stabilization that works with any lens. The GH3 is a tad quicker at catching focus in really low light.

IQ is very high with either camera. I have sold many large (30") images made with m4/3's cameras.

-Bill

Fashion Meets Fighting

http://www.hatakeyamagallery.com/april-2012-bill-fulcher/

Venice- Thanks! I've heard the OMD kit lens (12-50) is quite average compared to the Fuji 18-55.

Given AF is super important to me, but so is IQ, what lens would you suggest with the OMD?

The PanaLeica 25 f/1.4 (50mm equivalent) is excellent and focuses fast. I greatly enjoy the Olympus 12mm f/2 (24mm equivalent) as well.

The Olympus 45mm f/1.8 (90mm equivalent) is amazing.  It is tiny, light, super sharp, focuses fast and really inexpensive.

Both of the new Panasonic zooms, the 12-35 and the 35-100 (equivalent to a range of 24mm to 200mm) are top notch. They have fixed f/2.8 maximum apertures, they both focus fast, both are weather sealed, and both have built-in image stabilization.

The Olympus 75mm f/1.8 (equivalent to 150mm) is as good as any lens I own. It is fully equal to, if not better than, my Nikon 85mm f/1.4 G and my Leica 75mm f/2 Summicron.

Lots of options already with even more to come.

-Bill

Fashion Meets Fighting

http://www.hatakeyamagallery.com/april-2012-bill-fulcher/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow