RX-1 vs. Fuji X-E1: AF comparison

Started Dec 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
glenmurphy
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Re: RX-1 vs. Fuji X-E1: AF comparison
In reply to photoshoto, Dec 27, 2012

I have an X100, which is meant to be worse than the X-E1 at autofocusing, so I hope these notes might still be useful for you.

I find that in decent light, the X100 (with the most recent firmware) has a much more accurate and reliable focusing system than the RX-1. It's slower than the RX-1, but the RX-1 seems to have frequent difficulty focusing on faces 3-8' away, whereas the X100 seems to get it right every time (even if it takes slightly longer). The X100 also has point AF, so it's possible to focus on an eyeball, whereas you're guessing a little with the RX-1.

The RX-1 is far superior in low light and speed. Both cameras are pretty poor at focusing on fast-moving objects. The RX-1's decent manual focus can compensate somewhat for its failings, whereas I would use my iPhone camera rather than depend on the X100's horribly slow manual focus.

The X100 had a horrible AF system when it was released, and Fuji eventually firmware-fixed it to decentness. I hope Sony does the same for the RX-1.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow