Upgrading a EPL-1 to what?

Started Dec 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,184Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrading a EPL-1 to what?
In reply to Guy Parsons, Dec 27, 2012

Guy Parsons wrote:

In my case later in January, an upgrade to E-PL5 and keep one E-PL1 as backup.

I see it as an advantage to stay in the family so as to keep the knowledge so to speak. The E-PL1 is a bit fiddly at times but the later bodies are much the same as it is all the same firmware basically, just some extra knobs and buttons in some cases.

The secret with the E-PL1 is to find a setting that works and mostly stay with it, limit the daytime fiddling to occasional exposure compensation and even less to maybe change aperture at odd times (A mode recommended here).

The SCP does most of the other changes needed (not often) and the menus rarely dived into. Use Auto ISO and set a sensible upper limit, and Auto white balance with appropriate offsets if using jpegs, and do any fine tunes to jpegs in post process.

That way I get to take photos and enjoy it, it's nice to avoid having to fiddle settings all the time. I pity those who insist on using manual mode, it's a sure way to make mistakes.

Oh, and I see the major advantage of the E-PL5 over any other member of the Pen/OM-D family is the ability to map MySets to the mode dial, so your known settings are always there at turn on. The better sensor also helps.

Regards..... Guy

I remember having an Olympus C8080wz (and my C5050) which both had 'my modes' (8) which a person could program. Probably one of the handiest features I've ever used. Never could understand why Oly implemented them previously in the M4/3 as they did, almost needing to be a contortionist of fingerology, in order to press the fn button and the shutter at the same time. I think the EPL5 might be worth it for that alone, although the dynamic range increase doesn't hurt.

I always though if I could master pushing the buttons at the same time, my next step would be to learn Origami.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow