My experience with the D800 and fast primes

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jason Stoller
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,002Gear list
Like?
Re: My experience with the D800 and fast primes
In reply to u007, Dec 27, 2012

u007 wrote:

I love my d800, but I'm willing to admit that the focus isn't perfect in those situations you described. With the 35/1.4 or 50/1.4 wide open, using the non cross-point AF points, the AF isn't always perfect.

However, the 36mp really does show every focus error. Usually when I get the image onto my computer and look at it full screen on my 30 inch monitor, it looks fine. But at 100% I'll notice that it isn't *perfect*.

I think as long as the shot is focused close enough, that's ok for most things. You aren't going to get extreme quality at f1.4, ISO1600 anyway.

The center points are brilliant though. They focus down to f1.4, 1/30 and ISO12800 conditions with the assist lamp turned off.. amazing!

-- hide signature --

My travel photography blog - http://www.frescoglobe.com

I did a side by side comparison with my D700 and a D800 or a period of several days.  While I did not use all primes to do this, I would suggest, that you might change the number of focus points being used.  From my experience, I found that attempting to shoot with the lowest number of focus points selected in the D800 that the focus suffered.  After I bumped up the number of focus points selected, I found that the D800 focus system performed extremely well.  It may be important to note, that I was shooting the D800 and not the D800E

-- hide signature --

Jason Stoller ComicDom1@aol.com
We are just Beta Testers who pay the Camera Companies to test their new products!

Jason Stoller's gear list:Jason Stoller's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Nikon D700 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HmmmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow