Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,151Gear list
Like?
Thinking about getting the Sigma 30 2.8 for my E-PM2
Dec 26, 2012

and comparing to my 45mm 1.8 and picking the one I like more.  First off there are a lot of reviews already that say that the 30mm f2.8 will not compare to the 45mm 1.8.  On the otherhand there are just some things that don't make a whole lot of sense, most review sites really rushed to get their reviews out and thus for the most part have early samples for what is really a 'new' entry for Sigma.  One blog makes it apparent some firmware and other fixes might have happened as recently as 2 months ago dealing with the 'floating' elements when attached to the body, etc.  It's always gotten stellar test results and reviews from Sony NEX.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that the Sigma 30 2.8 does very well on a Sony NEX 7, which puts 24Mp's into that 1.5 crop.  I do not think the whole 'lens optimized for a sensor size' applies here since the crop from MFT to 1.5 is *mostly* in the aspect ratio (i.e the left and right sides of the frame, not the top and bottom).  Therefore if its very sharp (and I've seen very sharp 100% crops on the 24MP Sony 7 with the Sigma 30 2.8), it should be sharp on MFT. I can't help but wonder that there has been some time for which Sigma has been able to better optimize and test for the common MFT bodies now.  Even things such as calibrating focus mechanism, etc.  Is the lens mount registration distance substantially different enough here to be potentially much less optimal for MFT?

I am ok with my 45mm 1.8...initially impressed, however if anything its my Sigma 19mm that impresses more for the money.  Something about the 45mm 1.8 makes my pictures look dithered especially at f1.8.  60mm is not really a classic focal length by any means, however on an E-PM2 I'm not shooting in EVF mode but in neckstrap stretched mode so at that point anything goes as its not really traditionally framed by my eye glued to a viewfinder.

I'd like to see more full-size Sigma 30mm shots on MFT.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow