Flat view
Jamesbeat
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Which would you choose, S70 or A540?
Dec 26, 2012

As I explained in this thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3356851#forum-post-50531123

I have decided to go back to basics and learn how to use a camera properly.
For reasons outlined in the thread, I bought a Canon S50  to learn on, but I have found, like many others, that I can't stand the multi-direction controller, specifically pushing it straight in for 'set'.
I am considering selling it and getting an S70 instead, not for the extra megapixels, but for the slightly smaller body and the more sensible button layout.
I've also been looking at the A540.It seems to offer everything that I want (specifically Av, Tv, and manual settings) in a smaller and lighter package.
I'm trying to work out if I would be better off getting the A540 instead of the S70, but because they were released at different times, I'm having a hard time finding any direct comparisons.
I'm not bothered about the extra megapixel of the S70, nor the different memory card or battery types, but I'm not as experienced as a lot of folks here, so I'm concerned that I may have missed something important and would love some advice.
I understand that the S70 has a wider angle lens and a larger sensor than the A540, both of which may be pretty significant, but the A540 would be considerably easier to carry, being a lot smaller and lighter.
I also like the sliding lens cover of the S70, because I have had bad luck with the fragile leaf type before, but I may be prepared to live with that.
As you can probably tell, I'm going around in circles here, so please help me by telling me which one you would go for and why?
My main concerns are image quality and 'transparency', ie I need a camera whos menus and controls don't get in the way of me learning.
Nikon Coolpix S50 Nikon Coolpix S70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow