Please Help: Your Critique Needed

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,774
Like?
I see the "grain"...
In reply to Mua Bao, Dec 26, 2012

Mua Bao wrote:

I am thinking of getting a D800 & was able to borrow a brand-spanking new D800 from a friend & took a few photos over Xmas. This was one of them. Besides technical flaws, what other problems do you see with this photo. To me, it looks grainy even ISO was only at 400. Maybe the flash (SB-800) was incorrectly set up/used?

Some details: 35mm, f/5, ISO 400, 1/60 sec, flash used. No PP whatsoever except for cropping in LR4.1

TIA for your time.

Let me guess, you looked at 100% pixel level, and saw the noisy chroma noise reduced on the faces' gradations.

But ask yourself, what good is it to look at 100% pixel level on your screen? Are you planning on making a HUGE print of it to hang on a wall and look up close to it? I doubt it.

More problematic is the under exposure, the totally not artistic snapshotty quality of the badly posed image and bad composition.

Like someone else asked, is this really what you would want to buy a very expensive high resolution camera for?

Any camera will show some noise, with or without chroma noise reduction when you underexpose on ISO 400. Does it in any way matter in this case? No, not at all.

MB

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow