50mm f/1.8G Out of stock everywhere? And an ask for recommendations.

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
erikvw
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Re: APS-C portrait lenses
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Dec 26, 2012

Leonard Migliore wrote:

erikvw wrote:

I figured the 50 on an APS-C sensor would make a nice portrait length, I'm not looking to make money doing this, just help out some friends and my portrait experience with the 35 tells me I'd be a little close for kids. It works fine for adults and anyone comfortable with the process but under 5 years old they can get jumpy

I agree with the 35, which is too short and too harsh. But I don't like the 50 either; somehow the framing is always off (could be just me).

There are lots of reviews out there praising the Sigma 17-50 and I'm leaning that direction, I'd just rather not have to deal with sending the lens back and forth to get a good copy, the QC issues scare me a little. I'm thinking I'll shoot a few sessions with the 18-105 at 50mm and see how the length works.

Good move. Try shooting at longer focal lengths, too. You may like them better.

On that note, portraiture on an APS-C sensor, what glass would be high on your list? With the caveat that I can't drop >$1000 because my wife would string me up

Well, if you don't mind manual focus and being far away from the subject, the 105mm f/2.5 is as good as it gets. And that's an inexpensive lens (available only used, of course). I got an 85mm f/1.8G and the focal length seems perfect to me but I don't like the rendering as well as the 105's.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

I actually have a 105 2.5, I recently got a box of gear from a friend with a number of old film bodies and a few lenses and a whole lot of "stuff" that he wanted rid of. I set it off to the side along with a 55 3.5 micro to play with. I figured the ~150 equivalent would be far too long but I'll give it a go.

I looked at the 85 1.8 as well but I can't see spending that on something I can't imagine I'd get that much use out of. My children are my primary targets and most of the time I'm shooting close as I can't get them to sit still The one year old simply crawls towards me no matter the situation, my wife picks her up and moves her back 10 feet and I shoot as she scoots...

erikvw's gear list:erikvw's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow