50mm f/1.8G Out of stock everywhere? And an ask for recommendations.

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
erikvw
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Re: 50mm f/1.8G Out of stock everywhere? And an ask for recommendations.
In reply to Hugo First, Dec 26, 2012

Hugo First wrote:

if you're really set on the 50/1.8 AF-S, your best bet is probably some of the smaller photo stores. many probably have one on the shelf, because buyers just aren't looking there.

you can easily download a list of authorized nikon dealers, and then start working your way down the list till you locate one. chances are, it won't cost you any more than buying from the big online retailers. and by being nikon authorized, you'll know they're legit.

at the same time, i'd read up on and consider some other choices. i know that 50 is in high demand right now, but is it being sought as a portrait lens? if so, i can't recall it being talked up as such.

of course, it does sound like a great bargain, and maybe that's exactly what you're looking for...

I live in southern New Mexico, I'll try the best buy (they don't stock it locally) route but we haven't had a photography specific retailer around here in years... Even in El Paso, TX which is less than an hour away and almost 500,000 people there is only one small independent guy and his markup is north of 100% (He wanted $75 for a reflector I got for $18 on amazon)... I'm 3 hours from Albuquerque or Tuscon which would be the closest areas for shops I could visit...

I figured the 50 on an APS-C sensor would make a nice portrait length, I'm not looking to make money doing this, just help out some friends and my portrait experience with the 35 tells me I'd be a little close for kids. It works fine for adults and anyone comfortable with the process but under 5 years old they can get jumpy

There are lots of reviews out there praising the Sigma 17-50 and I'm leaning that direction, I'd just rather not have to deal with sending the lens back and forth to get a good copy, the QC issues scare me a little. I'm thinking I'll shoot a few sessions with the 18-105 at 50mm and see how the length works.

On that note, portraiture on an APS-C sensor, what glass would be high on your list? With the caveat that I can't drop >$1000 because my wife would string me up

erikvw's gear list:erikvw's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow