Good upgrade from Sony DSC-F707

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Paul C
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
Re: Unreasonable expectations...
In reply to Paul C, Dec 26, 2012

Hiya, me again.

I've now had a chance to look at (and take a couple of shots, albeit indoors etc) my Dad's Nikon D60 DSLR. And after a lot of thought, I think that since I will be buying a camera which will hopefully last another 10 years for me, that the most sensible and versatile for the role is a Nikon DSLR. Canon - nothing against them but since the rest of my family have Nikons, I'll stick with them; and I've read comparison reviews where the D5000 comes out better than the equivalent Canon. The reason for needing the versatility is that while I kinda know what kind of pictures I'd like to take in the next 3-6 months, I don't know in the long term future. And either my GF will have her (ultra) compact camera too, or I could keep the Fuji, for those occasions when a DSLR is too bulky.

However, I have a few questions about eg Nikon D5000, which kinda makes me sound like I want a compact camera really:

- I read in a review that the contrast AF when in live preview mode is REALLY slow, like slower than the average compact camera. Does this affect real-life situations so that the feature is not much more than a gimmick, or is it actually not too bad/okay/just like a compact/no real issues?

- While I've no worries with secondhand, or an older camera, I'd still like to be able to shoot the occasional short video clips - I understand the Nikon D5000 does this, any others in a similar price range I should be looking at too?

- I also like shooting mainly with the camera around chest height and the screen (body) tilted up - hence the need for a tilt screen. Are these flip/twist screens on DSLRs these days vulnerable to damage, or is it a non-issue?

I'd probably start by seeking out a camera + the basic kit lens (18-55), and at some point in the future get either a 35mm or 50mm f1.8 lens, depending on finding a reasonably priced secondhand item. I don't really want to get into having loads of lenses, a large carry case to cart it all around in, etc. Are these 2 lenses a popular pair to start out with and do they tend to fit 99% of needs or do they restrict you? Obviously, less zoom capability but what kind of pics NEED zoom rather than being able to take at max resolution and possibly cropping later?

Many thanks again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow