Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,445Gear list
Like?
Used Panny lens on Ebay -- need advice based upon experience
Dec 26, 2012

I recently sold a used Panny lens on Ebay, which I described as used, but in excellent condition. It had had a filter on it from day 1. Ebay's description of "used" notes that there may be cosmetic problems with an item, but nothing that affects it function or operation. Detailed photos of the front and rear optical elements were part of the listing. I always took great care with it, and it gave me excellent photos; I was just consolidating lenses.

The buyer filed a "not as described" complaints, claiming that there were several small "blemishes" (of an undescribed nature) that could be seen on the surface coating of the front optic when it was held to the sun. As I said, I had never experienced anything in photos/video that would make me question or scrutinize the lens, especially since it was protected by filters from the time it was new. It was very sharp.

So I ask all of you who have bought/sold lenses on Ebay. What is "fair" in this circumstance? I asked the buyer to supply a photograph of the alleged blemishes, but they said they don't have a macro lens. So I have asked to be supplied with raw files that demonstrate any operational problem in the lens, in particular, any related to said blemishes. He similarly declined.

On the one hand, a seller who advertises a lens as "used" on Ebay offers no return policy stating that the buyer can simply return a lens, and buyers could simply claim they see "blemishes" if they've decided they should have purchased another lens, or if a family member is upset with them about the money spent. On the other hand, I want to deal with integrity as a seller.

I am interested in responses from those who buy or sell used equipment... particularly from those who have sold such equipment in the past. What is a reasonable approach to such transactions?

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow