50mm f/1.8G Out of stock everywhere? And an ask for recommendations.

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
erikvw
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
50mm f/1.8G Out of stock everywhere? And an ask for recommendations.
Dec 26, 2012

Anyone have any insight as to why this is? Amazon, B&H, KEH and others have no stock of the 50 1.8g...

On a related note, I'm looking to do some portrait work for friends and family. I have a solid light setup and am all ready to start but I'm having trouble deciding on glass. I've had my eye on the 50 since I purchased the 35 1.8g and have gotten quite a lot of use from it. Would my money be better spent on the Tamron or Sigma 17-50 2.8 (it will be mostly kids portraiture and in bunches so I won't be shooting wide open anyhow), I can't afford the Nikon...

Current setup: D7000 with 18-105 kit, 35 1.8g and a fair bit of old glass (nothing special). I use both of my current lenses quite a bit, the 35 indoors and the kit lens as my walkaround. SB-700 and YN-560II along with various bits and pieces (reflectors, diffusers, etc)

Long story short, 50 1.8g or Tamron 17-50 2.8? I've never done "studio" style work before, should I learn with the 35 before deciding? I won't be paid for this work, nor will anyone be expecting flawless work, just taking shots of my friends kids because our small town has 2 options, Walmart studio or extremely overpriced local photogs.

Thanks,

Erik

erikvw's gear list:erikvw's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +6 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow