Standard RAW processing worthwile?

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jeff Loughlin
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
Re: Standard RAW processing worthwile?
In reply to Starred, Dec 26, 2012

I used to shoot jpegs exclusively, mostly to save space and time.  I've recently switched to shooting RAW, because it gives me great flexibility to fix the exposure when I do something stupid.

I do an automated conversion when I import, which gives me a full res jpeg with default settings applied - that makes for a perfectly usable image in most cases, and for snapshots and stuff where I don't care that much about image quality, I can use those jpegs directly.  But I also have the raw image, which gives me a lot more control, and for shots that matter I can spend more time on them and create something much better than the default jpeg would have given me.

With the cost of storage today, there isn't really a good reason to shoot jpeg anymore.  You can shoot raw+jpeg in camera, or just shoot raw and do an automated conversion when you import.  Either way, you end up with a usable jpeg and a raw file to fall back on if you need it.

Jeff

http://www.pbase.com/jeff_loughlin

Jeff Loughlin's gear list:Jeff Loughlin's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow