m4/3 tripod recommendations?

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bernard Pirenne
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
Tripod : my choice
In reply to Jerodequin, Dec 26, 2012

Hi,

For full frame I have a Gitzo 2542L and markins M20 ball at 2.040 grams  (plus bag) is perfect for full frame but do not like to walk walk two hours with it. I looked  deeplly in market for a lighter but strong tripod  for my Olympus  and ended with the Sirui T1204 X  and the C10 ball (smallest but good ball).

It is a four sections plus center column. Diameter goes from 25mm for upper section to 16 mm for lower.Each leg has 8 layers of carbon fiber !

Weigth of tripod alone 910 grams (they say it is 800grams on specifications)

C10 Siirui ball 190 gr (This is the lightest and it is really good and light)

So the total is 1.100 grams

bag weights 420 grams (the bag is too heavy and could be replaced by lighter model)

Total on your shoulder is 1.520 grams

I took 4 sections on purpose because 5 sections have much smalller 5th section and it flexes a lot more than 4 sections tripods.

The finish of the Sirui is as good, or a little better than  the finish of the Gitzo. I would even give a higher mark for the Sirui. Sirui is giving a six year warrany on this  tripod !! against 1 year for the Gitzo. I was told than now Gitzo are produced by Sirui factory.

The price I paid was 300 € (from Mein photo in Germany). I think it is really worth the price

Height  of the viewfinder of the OMDEM5 when column is extended is 1.52 meter and 1.30meter when column is down. In practice I found that when columun is extended the whole system looks very stable.  However if you set the magnifier of the viewfinder at 14x with a long lens of 150mm and touch briefly the camera with your finger, you can see the camera vibrating lightly for a few seconds.

With this magnifier view, the tripod looks indeed much less stable than it looks at first.

When you take the column down matters improve greatly. Vibration amplitude is decreased and the vigration stops much faster. This is  true for any tripod. Fro best stability you should not raise the comlumn at all. With the column down you can really make great shots in perfect stability providing youu use the 2 or 10 second timer -or une the remote shutter.

Conclusion : if you want stability buy the tripod with the height you need without counting the height of the column that you  will not use. Any tripod is much better if you do not use the column at all. Also take the 4 sections rather thant the 5 section more subject to flexibility.

Hope this helps you, Bernard

Bernard Pirenne's gear list:Bernard Pirenne's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow