Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alphoid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,648
Like?
Good wide angle lenses for Sony
Dec 26, 2012

I currently have a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. I've been looking for something reasonable for wide-angle shots (primarily of babies). The quality coming out of the 17-50mm has been disappointing, and it's a little slow in worse light. Are there any recommended lenses I should be looking at? Virtually everything I look at appears similar or worse.

Are there any plausible lenses I'm missing? I have a Tokina 11-16mm which I've been very satisfied with, and I'm buying a 35mm f/1.4 Sigma, but there's a gap around 20mm I'd like to fill.

So far, I've found:

1. 20mm f/2.8 looks to be the best candidate, but looking at review photos, the coma is actually worse than the Tamron. The corner sharpness is worse. Distortion at 20mm is similar. Bokeh is better, and flare control might be better? This lens is confusing, since it costs more than the Tamron, but in reviews, appears to be optically worse, even though it is a prime. Am I missing something?
  2. 24mm f/2.0 Zeiss. Plausible candidate. A little close to the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 (should I consider this instead of the Sigma?).
  3. Sony 16-50mm and Zeiss 17-30. Both of these, in reviews, have comparable quality to the Tamron. The Zeiss is quite expensive.

Another option would be a used A900 for use with the Sigma 35mm (a99 is out of my price range), but that seems like it'll go obsolete really quickly, and at this point, I'm addicted to the EVF...

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow