E 18-55 is still a good performer

Started Dec 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,930Gear list
Like?
Re: E 18-55 is still a good performer
In reply to Trollmann, Dec 26, 2012

Trollmann wrote:

Strange to see how well kit lenses perform when actually using the camera (got me a Nex 6 with the 16-50 and the 55-210 and it all works wonders), and how bad the same lenses become in the hands of pixel peepers.

Have been into photography a looong time, and I am simply impressed by how well the compact kit lenses actually work (quite good optics, very good resistance against flare, very sound mechanics and intelligent use of high quality polymers - and at a very competitive price too).

Lenses like the 18-55 and 16-50 are by no means perfect, but who bother to care as long as the lenses works wonders in the hands of good photographers?

I think an interchangeable lens system is like crack for those who are OCD.    I might have to put myself in that category, as I just don't have a strong need for perfection (I am not a pro, I rarely print large), but I do recognize the advantages of primes and occasionally use them.  But I can also see the fun in an imperfect lens, especially one with "character" and good color if not razor sharpness.  I don't have a lot of tolerance for a bad lens, though, but I see that more often in older (cheap) lenses.  Newer lenses seem so much better.  I think the bar has been raised a lot higher than in the past.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow