Nitpicking the P510

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
donaldsc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,538
Like?
Re: Nitpicking the P510
In reply to JimCo, Dec 26, 2012

JimCo wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I really love my P510 and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. And I'm sure that some of you have already commented on what I'm about to say, but darn it, it really disappoints me that (1) there is no hot shoe for an external flash, and (2) that there is no provision for attaching filters or lens hood. If only Nikon would add these features they would have a camera in the P510 that would blow the competition out of the water! Ah well, maybe down the road they will have caught on and put out such an upgraded model, like, maybe, a P510a.

JimCo

There is one solution to the "lack of a hot shoe" problem that I just thought of.  It is a bit of a kluge but I believe that it will work.

You need to buy 3 items - a flash bracket that attaches to the tripod screw (maybe $15 at B&H although more versatile ones are available); an optical slave with hot shoe ($20 at b&H); and finally a flash unit (cost depends upon what you want or zero if you already have one).

You put the slave unit on your flash bracket and your flash on the slave unit.  The slave unit picks up the light from the flash in the camera and fires off your external flash.

I have not tried this but I do not see why it would not work.  You would also be able to use the  equipment on any of your cameras and when you upgrade to a newer camera with a hot shoe, use of a second flash unit will improve the quality of your pictures.

-- hide signature --

Don

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow