new i-mac

Started Dec 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
qstudios
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Re: new i-mac (i5 replaced with i7 on i5 machine)
In reply to Leo, Dec 26, 2012

Leo wrote:

qstudios wrote:

Leo wrote:

There is no CD/DVDJulesJ wrote:

DavidHH wrote:

Just got my new 21.5" iMac this week, and am really enjoying it.

Pretty much "Maxed it Out" with 16 GB RAM and 1 TB Fusion Drive.

It is really fast with the Fusion Drive.

-- hide signature --

DavidHH

I'm thinking of exactly the same, 21.5, with the 3.1GHz processor. I have no need nor want a bigger screen, as much ram as poss (16GB) and the Fusion drive which seems an added advantage.

It's my main work tool so no point scrimping on the spec as I see it. I will order just after Xmas.

Does this machine have a cd/dvd reader writer? If not that's a bummer. I burn discs for clients all the time

Jules

There is no CD/DVD in any iMac including MacMini. I have purchased on December 1 an iMac 21.5", the base model, for $1299 as the an Apple sale person assured me that this base model can be later upgraded to 16GB RAM, I7 and Fusion Drive. Returned it in few days after learning the truth. I have purchase LG CD/DV from Best Buy for $39 as iMac prefer it to be slimmer. Also, Apple believes that CD/DVD will disappear in the near future and be replaced by iClouds and wireless

Leo

Leo,

That Apple sales rep was correct you can upgrade the 21.5" its just a PITA. Someone has already opened it up and installed the 16GB of RAM, SSD and changed the processor to an i7. The unit has been up and running fine since there is a thread by R.O.G on MacRumors about it.

I just found on Intel site that to run i7 with the HT benefits the must: "You must have a processor, chipset, operating system, and BIOS that all support the technology."

Just replacing i5 to i7 om a motherboard may not give all benefist of HT.

Leo

I believe that the motherboard supports the HT as its sold with the option to upgrade to the i7 on the 21.5" and the 27" (its also supported in the BIOS and OS). So long as the processor is in the same mobile family and draws the same power its been showing to perform (ex. the 3770 proc). But, as someone stated before its not that easy getting into this generation of iMac's so its dependent on your risk tolerance.

The options list for the 21.5"

Proof that the i7-3770 works in the imac 21.5" - see the cores and threads are recognized (thanks to ROG).

qstudios's gear list:qstudios's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow