i picked up a Minolta 24mm to 85mm 3.5 to 4.5.....

Started Dec 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Digitalize
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?
Re: Very good optically...
In reply to cyainparadise, Dec 26, 2012

cyainparadise wrote:

however, the construction is suspect. I had this lens, and I loved the pictures taken with it. The problem with the lens is the way the lens is built. It uses a single tube design, which is sticking one tube into another. When you extend the lens all the way out, there is very little overlap between the two tubes.

I took a trip up to the Pacific NW, and when I zoomed all the way out, the tubes got off track, and locked the lens into the 85mm position, and the lens would neither zoom nor focus.

I took the lens to the authorized Minolta repair center, and without even looking at the lens, they said it was 'abused', and wouldn't repair the lens under warranty, even though the lens was only a few months old.

Good thing I knew the Minolta rep in my area, and he swapped the lens out with his sales sample.

I later sold the lens off and bought the Tamron 24-135mm, which uses a double tube design. Oh, forgot to mention, when the 24-85mm is fully extended, if you were to grab the front part of the lens, you can 'wobble' the front part of the lens around its axis. This was a major reason I decided to sell it, as I could see why the lens could break. The Tamron design solved this problem.

Thanks for the info.  I hope mine continues to work right.  Can you tell me more about the Tamron 24-135?  I cant see it on Ebay or Amazon.

Dennis

Digitalize's gear list:Digitalize's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow