sRGB vs Adobe RGB ?

Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Scott Eaton
Senior MemberPosts: 1,910
Like?
Adobe RGB in JPG *does matter - sometimes
In reply to TomWret, Dec 26, 2012

Shooting RAW allows you to choose your desired target space external from the camera.

JPEG as I recall requires you to chose Adobe or sRGB in camera, but it's been a long time since I shot JPEG.

However, one thing I'm 100% certain of is sRGB and Adobe RGB do make a difference in terms of display out-put even if you shoot JPEG, but it depends on subject matter. Adobe RGB helps even JPEG files retain accuracy when it comes to richly saturated colors, especially reds and oranges. In sRGB mode they'll shift towards red primary, but if shot in Adobe RGB you'll keep better accuracy, even *if* you convert to a working sRGB space after the fact.

For regular shooting sRGB works fine because most people prefer stronger saturated colors and don't tend to like the rather bland rendition of Adobe RGB converted to sRGB that results. when dealing with really intense colors though Adobe RGB will help even JPEGS, and if you don't believe me try it for yourself.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow