Pick your two favorite lenses

Started Dec 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jennyhappy2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,380Gear list
Like?
Re: Primes better than 12-35mm/F2.8?
In reply to mh2000, Dec 25, 2012

Though the primes appear to give that special effect that cannot be achieved with the zoom lenses.

mh2000 wrote:

mminstrel wrote:

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

Sounds like either the 12mm or 14mm would be a good idea along with the 25mm. Would going with something like the 12-35mm/F2.8 be still a better route or are the faster primes optimal?

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

If you were to purchase only 2 lenses from the following, which would you go with and why:

- 14mm f 2.5
- 25mm f 1.4
- 45mm f 1.8
- 75mm f 1.8

Assume these would be use for day to day purpose as well as for travel.

Depends on:

1. How much money you are willing to spend?

2. How much are you willing to (or expect to be in a position to) zoom with your feet?

3. How many bodies do you have, or are you willing to change lenses frequently?

I did the 14/25 combo mounted on two separate bodies. Worked well...but the 12-35 clearly gives a lot more flexibility. For most shooting conditions (i.e. you do not need really low light capabilities), 12-35 comes very close to the 25mm 1.4 and is comparable (or better in my opinion) than 14mm 2.5. Never had the 12mm.

The joy of primes generally relies on a shooting style that does not demand freq. lens changes. If you need to constantly be changing FL, then a zoom makes a lot more sense...

-prime guy

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow