IQ, old F20/30 vs. XF1 (I a should have asked it this way before)

Started Dec 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Andrew Swihart
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: IQ, old F20/30 vs. XF1 (I a should have asked it this way before)
In reply to Joel Stern, Dec 25, 2012

I just bought my Dad the XF1 for Christmas to upgrade from his F30, which he has really loved using for many years. I bought him a Panasonic LX5 last year, which went largely unused due to perceived complexity, lens cap annoyance, increased weight, and worse results used as a set it and forget it point and shoot camera . It may have better image quality when used by an experienced photographer, but as a quick point and shoot for the layman, I've been surprised that in our experience the the Fuji F30 actually surpasses the LX5. It produces much better JPEGs, colors, does not blur moving subjects like the LX5 seems to do constantly when not in shutter priority mode, is smaller, and has amazing battery life.

He expressed some uncertainty about the XF1 because of the on / off zoom ring mechanism, but I'm hopeful he can live with that. Although he has always been very enthusiastic about cameras and taking photos, he is very much a point and shoot kind of guy, doesn't want to change a single setting prior to taking a photo. I chose the XF1 for him over the RX100 because it seemed more point and shoot friendly, has a familiar Fuji user interface, and was ~1/3 cheaper when I bought it! I'll try to report back with our impressions after a few days of use.

Also, to correct a previous post, the F30 is a bit smaller and lighter than the XF1.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WmAxNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow