Urgent! Nikon D700 live view problem and quality issues.

Started Dec 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,075Gear list
Like?
Nothing really wrong, don't worry
In reply to TheIsingGuy, Dec 25, 2012

First and foremost, Liveview: when I switch it on, and pan the camera from left to right I notice a significant "lag" in the output. Its almost like the lag in video games whereby the GPU cannot cope with the graphics and the frame rate is significantly reduced.

I have used a d7000, d90, neither shows such problem, the live view lag is independent of lens, exposure and live view mode, hold it in my hand, pan it left to right and back forth you notice the live view output is not smooth like the d90.

Is this a common issue with the d700? Is this a rare problem I which I should avoid buying?

I see the same with a D3 that I'm using right now. Live view framerate definitely isn't as high as my D600 or Sony a580. I don't really see that as a problem, though...it's not like anyone's going to try using live view to capture action anyways when the OVF does that job so much better.

Note that there low very low shutter count, less than 50.

That's excellent. If the D700's ISO performance/resolution is adequate for you, and you don't need to shoot video, go for it.

The second thing is the rubber grip on the left side, where the FX symbol is, it seems to be on the verge of coming off, if I apply force to it it will peel off. It's on the front side, where the switch for Manual Autofocus is. Is this a non-problem?

It seems like Nikon has a lot of trouble with rubber coming off. It'll probably be difficult to find a used D700 with intact rubber grips for a decent price.

these Problems are quite urgent as I am waiting to make a decision to purchase in the next couple of days so if any one can shed light on the live view issue then it would be much much appreciated!

Many Thanks

Adam

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow