IQ, old F20/30 vs. XF1 (I a should have asked it this way before)

Started Dec 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,981Gear list
Like?
actually ...
In reply to Trevor G, Dec 25, 2012

Trevor G wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

I have the chance of replacing my daughters dead F20 with one of these at a good price new (a bit better then then $399 deal). It all depends on the IQ, the F20 and 30 were always quite wonderful for what they were, how does this new XF1 stack up?

The F31 is still a remarkable camera. I just gave one to my son, who likes to take fuzzy photos of car parts on his iPhone in low light.

The F31 is much better, and is quite usable up to ISO1600.

As such, it is no worse than a current X10 or XF1, but is considerably more pocketable.

The X10 and XF1 will shoot at 1600 and 3200 with less of the "painterly effect" from noise reduction. Especially when shot correctly: How to Shoot an EXR Camera

These two will also preserve highlights much better if shot at DR400 and will not turn the edges of every light bright purple.

There really is no contest.

And finally .... the F series in that day and age was not really pocketable ... the bodies were too thick and the edges too square ... for pocketable, the F800EXR and its ilk are a better bet. Shot in RAW they can easily beat the F31 ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WmAxNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow