Started Dec 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
StevensonsPlace
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
D600 a keeper, no longer looking for trouble
Dec 25, 2012

After a nearly-four-year hiatus from hobby photography, I picked it up again this year. My D90 with 18-200VR has done a fine job (within its limitations) since I bought it in 2009.
Without going into histrionics of why, I became intrigued with the D600 when it was announced. I kept waiting for my local full-featured pro camera store to stock one so I could get a hands-on look, but the cameras went out the front door as quickly as they came in the back. So,when B&H offered the $1996 special, I grabbed one. Two days later, I had it in my hands - serial #305xxxx.

After about 75 shots, I made the mistake of looking for spots. There was one, center-left. I could only see it against the blue or white background at f16 or higher - invisible otherwise.
Self-clean didn't help, and I managed to add more spots in my untrained attempts to clean it. My local store - from whom I have bought 2 DSLRs, a 4/3s Lumix, and a compact over the last few years - stepped right up with a cleaning. Very instructive - I learned more about Nikons' propensity for spotting and - most importantly - why go looking for trouble? I have never looked for spots on my D90; I'm sure that if were to do so, there would be plenty after four years without a cleaning, after three trips to Arizona Sonoran and high deserts and other journeys. And I change lenses frequently.

With all that said - after a few hundred frames, I am more enthusiastic about the D600 than any other Nikon camera I have owned over the past 35 years. While I find the distortion of the 24-85mm kit lens occasionally disconcerting, it is easily fixed in PP when necessary and sharpness is admirable for a kit unit. Nikkor 60mm macro yields stunning close-ups. I find my Tokina 12-24 F4 DX works fine at 18mm or higher (again recognizing and correcting for distortion). I haven't played with my 70-200 f2.8 VR-II yet. I have had a great time playing with the interval and time-lapse features. We did a time-lapse of our Christmas morning gift opening - very cool! Standard movies work very well; sound quality is surprising. Even the built-in "scene" functions work so well that I find myself using a couple of them instead of aperture-preferred with other customs settings.

I am not going to look for or concern myself with sensor spots any more - why look for trouble when you can't see it except under specific circumstances when the camera has so much to offer?

Nikon D600 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow