portraiture lens help ??!

Started Dec 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
RLewis
Regular MemberPosts: 426Gear list
Like?
Re: 85mm f1.8G or 105mm f2.8G VRII Nikkor
In reply to roaddogg99, Dec 25, 2012

I shoot portraits for a living.  I usually use my 70-200mm f2.8G VR lens at 135mm focal length.  (I wish Nikon would update the 135mm f2).

Out of the three lenses you mentioned, I definitely would purchase the Nikkor 85mm f1.8G.  I don't own one yet but my friends that own it rave about it.  It will also be a good every day lens.  Another lens to consider for portraits is the exceptional 105mm f2.8G VRII Micro Nikkor.  I love mine.  Sharpest lens I have ever owned.  However, it will not be as useful when not shooting portraits as the 85mm.

You never want to take a "portrait" with a 50mm lens unless it is just absolutely necessary.  It is not very flattering to your subject.  There is a caveat to this of course.  Professionals will frequently use lenses from 35mm to 50mm for environmental, editorial, portraits.  I have seen exceptional work with 35mm wide angle lenses and fast 50mm lenses, used for editorial portraits, but you really need to know how to use them.

Rick

www.ricklewisphotography.com/
www.ricklewisheadshots.com/
www.RickLewisPhotography.com/blog

RLewis's gear list:RLewis's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow