Started Dec 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
J2Gphoto
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?
Considering Pentax, need some advice
Dec 25, 2012

I've been a long time Olympus shooter. I've owned the E-500, E-30, E-5 and the new OMD E-M5.   I am starting over, again.  But I am not sure I want to stick with Olympus seeing as it's m 4/3 or nothing.  Pentax seems to make some really nice bodies that remind me of the build quality I was used to with Olympus.  I felt I was spoiled with Olympus glass and even their kit lenses were pretty damn good.

So right now I am looking at spending right around $1000 range. There are a lot of deals out there for Nikon and Canon as well as the K30 and a couple Sony's. But when I do a side by side comparison of IQ the Pentax seems to be right on par with the OMD and better than the others mentioned.

So I guess my question would be, do you think the kit lenses would hold me over until I can save for some better lenses?  Or should I do K30 body and one better lens?  Also is there much gain with the K-5II or IIs?  I've read the K-30 is a great camera for photos but kind of bites for video ( no big deal I'm not much for video).

Another reason I am considering a switch is the available choices of lenses. No matter it if's Canon, Nikon or Pentax. You have the main brand, sigma, Tamaron and others. Even some decent fast glass for under $300.  So what are your thoughts on the Pentax kit glass?  Suggestions?

Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow