Does overexposing help get a better RAw file in the OMd?

Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
gollywop
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,451
Like?
Re: Does overexposing help get a better RAW file in the OMD ?
In reply to Anders W, Dec 25, 2012

Anders W wrote:

KwikVik wrote:

Thanks gollywop, I've mostly been trying overexposing low-contrast scenes and then reduce the exposure in lightroom and all using only base ISO's. That itself is giving me lesser noise and am able to pull slight shadows from such scenes without obliterating the picture quality with noise.

High-contrast scenes, I haven't tried out yet and will have to read these posts more and experiment in further detail post the holidays

Oh and by "better output" I meant "better processed output" above and not the OOC jpegs and I don't know whether that made you think that I meant better jpegs. My bad.

Anyways, I've only been using RAW' since quite some time now, as even with NR off I find the Oly jpegs slightly blobby and a little too NR aggressive for my tastes and have just stayed away from them.

Thanks once again.

Here's a modest example of a somewhat extreme high-contrast scene processed along the lines suggested by gollywop.

First, the exposure as it looks when I first open it in LR 4.3 with everything at default. Since the DR of this scene borders on what even the E-M5 can manage with qood quality end results, I preferred to let the most extreme highlights clip marginally (about 50 K pixels clipped for all channels combined). For the predominant part of the picture, the average ADU-levels are very low: about 15 for red, about 25 for green, about 10 for blue (on a scale from 0 to 3815).

Dome of the cathedral of Spoleto, Umbria, Italy (before post-processing)

And here is what it looks like when I have played a little with the tone control sliders:

Dome of the cathedral of Spoleto, Umbria, Italy (after post-processing)

Just right, Anders.  And, if I may be permitted to replay a shot I posted sometime earlier, here is another example:

The first was shot to preserve the highlights in the window, ETTR.  The green tint is due to UniWB. [Note: For those who object to the green tint of UniWB, please note that the use of AutoWB would have produced no more acceptable an image in the LCD  ]

And here is the processed version after exposure compression and shadow pulling:

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow