Is there a point to owning an LX and an M43?

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,658Gear list
Like?
LX7 and higher ISO
In reply to Jamon47, Dec 25, 2012

Jamon47 wrote:

The LX7 is a fine performer, especially at ISO 80 and 100. It's responsive, flexible, and produces excellent images. That 24-90mm f/1.4-2.3 zoom is seductive.

The LX7 seems to be a very good camera at low ISO but I rarely heard anyone owning it saying that it also performs well above ISO 400. From your hands-on experience is that caused by the sensor, the image processing or what?

I'm a bit picky. I find the image quality of the LX7 at ISO 400 and higher to be rather poor. I shoot raw exclusively and work hard in Lr for the best image when I find one I like. I have yet to find an ISO 400 shot (or higher) that is acceptable to me unless I convert to B&W. Even then, a close inspection shows noise that is not film-like. At least the B&W conversion appears to hide some of the blotchiness (is that a word?). The up side for me is that I don't feel I've lost a lot if I have to convert to B&W for an acceptable image.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow