Started Dec 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
glcheng
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
Nikon D800 Autofocus setting
Dec 25, 2012

I have a Nikon D800 and have been mostly using it to shoot my 18 months old kid indoor. My kid is moving a lot so I have been trying to experiment with different autofocusing settings. But I think I need some help as I don't think my AF-C setting is right. When using AFC-Auto or AFC-3D, I can see the focus point move along with my kid. But when I use AFC-51, 21, 9, when my kid moves, the focus point never move. I don't think this is normal, is it? My understanding by reading the manual is that in the 9, 21 or 51 point mode, upon locking the focus, the focus should move when the subject moves.

The reaon I want to try 9, 21 or 51 is due to the fact that when I use fast prime, such as 85 f/1.4, 3D tend to lock onto my kid's shirt instead of the eyes. AFC-Auto is not always reliable either. My ideal AFC mode will be to first use the select focus point to lock to my kid's eyes, then track the eye by using one of the 9,21 or 51 focus point. Everything I read, 9 and 21 are more reliable than 51 point. Any help?

glcheng's gear list:glcheng's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow