Will a Sony NEX F3 or 5N take pictures the same quality as an entry level DSLR?

Started Dec 23, 2012 | Questions thread
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,980Gear list
Like?
Re: Will a Sony NEX F3 or 5N take pictures the same quality as an entry level DSLR?
In reply to PDine, Dec 25, 2012

PDine wrote:

I've owned a couple of Canon entry level DSLRs and now have a Sony NEX-C3. It is at least as good an image quality as the Canon's that preceded it, at any given ISO level.

However, getting good low-light images isn't just about your camera's sensor. It is also the choice of lens you use - e.g., a wide aperture prime lens might give you 4 times the light-gathering ability as the standard kit lenses that ship with your camera. You will find the lens selection to be a lot broader with more cheaper options on any DSLR based system than with the Sony NEX's.

Also, people just starting out with interchangeable lens cameras often want good low light capability because they don't want to have use flash indoors. They don't like the look that standard flash photography gives. When you get more into it you will see that the use of a flashgun with a bounce/tilt head can give you a look that often exceeds that of ambient light when shot indoors. So a system that offers affordable flashgun options is also desirable. The high end NEX-6 and NEX-7 are not too bad in this respect, but the NEX-3 and NEX-5 series much less so.

I like my NEX-C3, however I think as a new starter a more traditional DSLR camera like a Nikon D3100 (currently available with good end-of-line discounts) might be a safer bet.

Or m43. With an extensive choice of very good lenses, they come close to matching the NEX.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow