Started Dec 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JosephScha
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,246Gear list
Like?
Pictures of old pictures
Dec 25, 2012

I recently found some very old pictures, probably from about 1928, in a bag that had been taken down from an upper shelf in my Mom's closet. We showed them to her, and it was clear she had forgotten about them, and had not looked at them in decades. Certainly my sister and I had never seen them.

Anyway, I took them home to take pictures of... with tripod, I think it worked quite well. Example:

G10 with kit lens picture of an old photograph

But someone recently asked me "Why didn't you scan them?" ... Well, multiple reasons.

1) I wouldn't want to put these face down on the scanner - and have bright light shined on them

2) The scanner doesn't give me a "raw" file.

3) The scanner doesn't really let me adjust exposure in any photographically recognizable way, but post processing is possible as for any .jpeg.

So, just curious: am I off base? Personal bias toward photography? Would you scan such a picture?

By the way, the young girl in the picture is my mother; on her right is her mother, behind her is her father, and on her left is her grandmother.

-- hide signature --

js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow