SX50 Mini-Reviews Christmas Special - Did you find your new camera under the tree?

Started Dec 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,668Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50 Mini-Reviews Christmas Special - Did you find your new camera under the tree?
In reply to OpticGlass, Dec 24, 2012

OpticGlass wrote:

Vision,
Your mini-reviews are very helpful. Thanks so much!

You're very welcome. I'm happy when I can help.

Some requests for both cameras

1) Can you do another low light test where you keep the same aperture and speed for both cameras.

SX40HS:

http://forums.dpreview.com/files/g/R0~TS560x560~2341025.jpg

SX50HS:
http://forums.dpreview.com/files/g/R0~TS560x560~2341024.jpg

The two cameras have different lenses with different maximum apertures. While they both have the same sensor, they have different software. Therefore when held to the same shutter/fStop/ISO combination before a static scene, it would be expected that results would vary from both optical as well as processing input. And those results would not be consistant depending on the scene and its array of luminance values (as shown in the various ISO samples in the article). That being said, my question to you is what would you be looking for in this additional test?

2) A hand held low light test showing (your) minimum speed that the cameras can be hand held. Both set on the biggest aperture and lowest ISO possible.

Within the low light article, I discussed my minimum speed capabilities with the cameras in the existing environment. In a different environment, say a warmer ambient temperature, those minimum speeds may have been different. There are traditional rules for picking the minimum shutter speed when not using IS, e.g. 1/focal length. Depending on the quality of the IS, this can change to as little as 1/┬╝focal length. But these are just guides. And differ for each photographer, depending on their experience and technique. I have been photographing for almost a half a century and have learned techniques that blow away these particular guides handheld. But also at my age, these techniques are getting harder and harder to put into practice. So I always set my cameras at the highest shutter speed available relative to the quality of the ISO and required depth of field. If one wants the sharpest images possible, I can give no better advice when going handheld.

3) Landscape low light (to check for noise in shadows). An indoor shot may do too.

In the images of the RR tracks by the river, there are good shadow examples on the left of the images. The outdoor low-light shots also give multiple different low luminace levels to look for noise. The practiced eye can also search for the difference between noise and fine detail in the indoor low light images.

4) Daylight landscape shot with no clouds (to check blue noisy skies).

The very first article has a lot of blue sky in many of the images exactly for that purpose.

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow