Started Dec 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bjorn_L
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,609Gear list
Like?
Re: Multipurpose Zoom Lens (Nikon)
In reply to Bakers_Dozen, Dec 24, 2012

Bakers_Dozen wrote:

RaymondR wrote:

I had the Sigma 17-70 OS version for about a year before I switched from DX to m4/3 and sold off all my Nikon gear (except my wife's D40 and kit lens). I can strongly recommend it. It compared nicely to the discontinued Nikon 18-70 it replaced. I consider it more of a multipurpose lens than the very good 18-105 others are recommending because of its close focus and greater magnification, which makes it a better close-up/almost-macro lens than the 18-105. If you need the range, the 18-105 is sweet but I needed the close focus and greater magnification and as a bonus got a touch more speed. I loved that lens and almost kept it for the D40 but my wife balked at the extra weight.

-- hide signature --

RaymondR

Yeah I am really thinking about breaking down and purchasing that lens as well. BH has it on sale for $299 for a little bit. That is a steal in my opinion.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/670041-REG/Sigma_668306_17_70mm_F2_8_4_DC_Macro.html&kbid=1031&BI=725

Just FYI, the 16-85 has "ok" close focus ability too.

My house captured in a ice droplet.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow