SZ-30MR - Plane Spotting

Started Dec 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 11,657Gear list
Like?
Re: SZ-30MR - Plane Spotting
In reply to jim4850, Dec 24, 2012

jim4850 wrote:

I love your piccies Henry, my father took me to the opening ceremony of that airport, a warm day for that part of the world if my memory is correct.

That goes back a bit. I do remember arriving at what is now the domestic terminal when I immigrated in 1972.

Thanks to your posts I've just bought a SH-25 MR, I didn't need the amount of zoom your model has,...

I looked it up. The zoom is quite useable, you get the same multi-function, and also GPS.

...my Nikon P510 has plenty of that but it doesn't fit in the pocket and that's a point lost on a few people.

Your P510 has the same 16MP BSI CMOS sensor and HD video as my SZ-30MR. Over on the Nikon Forum it is highly thought of.

My SP-570UZ still allows an external flash as well, and it is built like brick out-house. In 2011 I bought the Stylus 9010 pocket P&S for its pocket size, and HD720p video in preference to VGA. The SZ-30MR promised to combine the functions of the other two most of the time, and it has kept that promise.

I never had a reason to worry about video before, but I've now found reason to have a camera that can take video and stills together, and the SH-25 MR fits the bill as well as being available in a colour other than bland.

A bland camera colour suits me, since I increasingly come across people averse to being photographed in public. I take videos of our Morris dance performances as I play the accordion the camera is mounted on - where my problem is that people DO notice my camera. They take videos and photos of ME instead of the dancers.

If the weather can do me a few favours I'll get some sample shots to post here soon enough, not a perfect camera by any means but Olympus JPG processing can overcome many a flaw.

I have found to my disgust that the automatics in both the SP-570UZ and the SZ-30MR often do a more reliable, and certainly quicker, job than I could do in manual mode on the SP-570UZ and all its pre-decessors. Just work with the guy who designed the SH-25MR, and you will benefit from his thinking. Your camera is not meant to be a robot trying to take control.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SZ-30MR Olympus SH-50
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow