Contributing MemberPosts: 943Gear list
Like?
Re: What makes a pro body?
In reply to fft81, Dec 24, 2012

fft81 wrote:

XeroJay wrote:

Honestly?

1: Dual media slots.

2: A brand's most rugged and durable components.

3: A brand's most capable AF system.

For these reasons, I do group the D800, D4, 5D3, and 1DX as Pro.

-- hide signature --

If there's typos, you can be sure I used my iPhone.

1. D7000 has 2 card slots

2. D7000 fails here

3. D7000 AF is probably better than AF system of D1, yet D7000 is not a pro body.

Technology, such as AF accuracy/speed, megapixel count, ISO performance will all improve with time and consumer cameras will surpass old pro cameras; but what will old pro cameras will be able to do that new consumer cameras can't? There is a deeper meaning to this question than may appear on the surface: in real world you only need so many mega pixels and you only need so many stops of great ISO. Eventually technology will allow even consumer cameras to reach those limits. At that point the difference of consumer and pro body will be determined by the factors which i am trying to determine/isolate in this thread.

Which is why I wasn't specific in #2 & 3; these things change as manufacturers evolve their products.

You're not being fair here in comparing the obsolete with something state of the art. Even a pro body can't be more that the best that a company can create RIGHT NOW. Of course they'll eventually trick those technologies down to lesser units.

You want a sure-fire way to tell what ISN'T pro? Unproven, gimmick, or toy-trick features in a camera; the more a camera has, the more consumer-oriented it is.

Right now those things are articulated screens, smile detection, fake photo filters and tilt-shift effects, exposure modes that need little pictures of stick figures and so on. Most of these will never exist on a pro body. (Yeah, that's right: I just said that an articulated screen will probably never exist on a pro body!)

-- hide signature --

If there's typos, you can be sure I used my iPhone.

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Higuma MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow