Started Dec 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rich JL
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Focussing Error Issue D90 with Nikon AF 50mm F1.8
Dec 24, 2012

Having recently bought my first fast lens (a 50mm AF F.18) for my D90 I've been keen to try some shallow DoF photography.  Trouble is I'm finding that the focus point in the image recorded isn't quite where I've focused when taking the shot.  I've just carried out a little test of this (partly to check I'm not going mad) and found that at about 2 feet the sharp part in the  recorded picture is about an inch short of where I've focused.  For shallow DoF shots this is obviously pretty frustrating with the discrepancy easily able to ruin the shot.

A quick Google found various discussions of this issue when using autofocus, but in this case the issue is present whether auto or manually focusing, seems very odd on the face it!

Has anyone experienced this issue, and is there a way to fix it?  So far I've found myself using  e.g. f4 to better guarantee sharpness where desired but would really rather be able take advantage of bigger apertures.

Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow