Christmas Eve Portraits - Sigma 30 and SEL50

Started Dec 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
rogatsby
Regular MemberPosts: 385Gear list
Like?
Re: Great photos, which lens do you use more?
In reply to 007peter, Dec 24, 2012

007peter wrote:

Great photo, which lens do you shoot more with? I have both Sigma 19mm and 30mm, right now debating whether I need 50mm f/1.8 at all?

I have all 3 of those lenses, and I love all of them. The SEL50 is an amazing portrait lens, and the 1.8 aperture gives it a good advantage over the Sigmas for low-light shots. But to be honest, the Sigmas are on my 5n almost all of the time. In particular, the Sigma 30 has been really a great all-around lens for me. Focal length is great for almost everything I want to shoot, and if you have a bounce flash solution, it is frankly just as good indoors as the SEL50. I find that the bokeh on the SEL50 is slightly better, but the Sigma 30 is more versatile. Also, 2.8 is plenty fast, and since I have found a bounce flash solution for low-light indoor shots, I have been using my Sigma 30 most of the time.

Here's a link to the bounce flash solution I found. You could do a cheaper or DIY solution instead, but this was much more convenient for me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-LIMs-Easy-Bounce-Flash-Diffuser-for-SONY-NEX-5-NEX-5n-NEX-C3-NEX-3-HVL-F7S-/250994951656

rogatsby's gear list:rogatsby's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow