Sensor question

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Larry McJunkin
Regular MemberPosts: 116
Like?
Re: Sensor question
In reply to Larry McJunkin, Dec 24, 2012

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input to my question, and I've come to the conclusion I obviously just can't have it all.  If I get the camera with the largest sensor, it fails in some other area and thus isn't a great all-around P&S.

I used the Studio Shot Comparison tool and closely looked at the cameras in DPReview's "Enthusiast Zoom Compact Roundup", comparing them at all ISO ranges (especially at higher ranges where I would need to shoot indoors without a flash) and the results were interesting.

Obviously, while sensor size is important, the three cameras that came out on top as far as image quality, best flash indoors (if needed) and overall features were the Canon G15, Olympus XZ-2 and Nikon P7700.  Of these, the G15 (at least to me) appears to be the best choice for me.  I would rather have the Olympus XZ-2 for some of its features, but according to DPReview it's indoor flash is not that great, and I'd like that feature available if needed.

Considering these three cameras, does anyone have any additional thoughts, especially on things I might be overlooking?  Thanks again!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow