Started Dec 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
STM on a 5D3
Dec 24, 2012

I occasionally use my 5D3 for video and, once or twice, tried to refocus while taking a video by using the AF button. Once or twice was enough because of both the noise that the 5D3/24-105 combination makes when refocusing and the lack of smoothness during the refocusing period. I either have to remove that secion from the video or live with the transition in the videos.

I have been wondering if the 40mm STM lens, which I understand was designed for video refocusing, would work decently on a camera like the 5D3. Has anyone tried this?

And, if so, is the 5D3/40mm STM quieter during refocusing than a "normal" lens? And is the refocusing "smoother"? Or does the STM lens only work properly with a camera designed for it like the t4i?

I would prefer to know before buying the lens. It is not expensive but US $150 is still $150 and, if the lens does not work quietly and smoothly enough on a 5D3 to take videos with, then I should use the money for something else instead. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow