IQ, old F20/30 vs. XF1 (I a should have asked it this way before)

Started Dec 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,494Gear list
Like?
Re: IQ, old F20/30 vs. XF1 (I a should have asked it this way before)
In reply to Eddaweaver, Dec 24, 2012

Eddaweaver wrote:

Thanks, something to consider, but I wonder if this would rival the XF1

The F40fd won't rival the XF1 except perhaps in low ISO resolution.

The best cheap alternative to XF1 is used (or new old stock) F200EXR. In my opinion best F series Fuji ever, and I used or tried most all of them since F10. F40 is pretty good for its time, but 3x zoom seems limiting today compared to F200. F50 is very noisy at ISO 400 and above and best avoided. F200 also works with xD cards.

Cheap is going to be a relative term. A second hand F200EXR would cost alot more than a second hand F40fd. There's an F200EXR for sale for US$100 which I think is good value, especially compared with the insane prices people are still trying to sell F31fds for.

It does have a wide angle lens. On the down side its lens aperture maxes at f3.3, it lacks an aperture iris and the minimum non macro focus distance is 80cm. Its resolution is somewhat lower than its pixel count suggests but it does have better colour than earlier F series cameras.

It's a good choice on the second hand market but it isn't quite a dirt cheap backup option.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1040574@N23/pool/

The old F cameras are just too old to be viable alternative to XF1, mostly in features and lack of wide angle. In practical use 3.3 aperture is not much different from 2.8, especially with the quality of F200 sensor. I don't know where did you get the 80 cm minimum non-macro focus distance for F200, it is more like 25 cm. As for resolution, there is not much difference between F200 and XF1, both are 12 MP with EXR sensor layout and associated slight performance drop at full resolution. XF1 1.8 lens is just a little additional feature which works only at 25 mm, very quickly becomes F4 as you zoom even a little. What do you consider dirt cheap, for a camera with equal, and in some cases better IQ then XF1, with significantly more zoom range and better flash performance?

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WmAxNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow