Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
Re: X E1 fantastic Highlight Recovery
In reply to Trevor G, Dec 24, 2012

Trevor G wrote:

nixda wrote:

If an image merely 'looks' overexposed, although it isn't, then it's most likely a consequence of the RAW processor applying in-camera settings and bunching up intensities in the highlights. To 'recover' the detail, one would then redistribute the intensities, with 'exposure adjustment' being the crudest tool, levels being a bit more useful, and curves offering the most flexibility.

Trevor G wrote:

Unfortunately what you say in this paragraph is quite the opposite of what really is the situation.

Why opposite, where opposite? That's what the OP has done, for example.

Let's use a test shot I took as an example. This image was deliberately over-exposed. Doing that makes it easier to restore all parts of the image to a good "level" than if you have an image which has a wider dynamic range than the JPEG engine can process. I'll possibly show an example of that in another post.

Thanks for the example, nice illustrative case, but that essentially just corroborates what I wrote. I can't see anything that would be 'opposite'.

In any case, I always found the highlight headroom in RAW images to be a bit of a cheat. In fact, the display program used is simply not showing the full DR. If one opened every RAW file such that the full DR would be shown, all the intensities would be right there, and one wouldn't need to talk about highlight recovery. It's the display program's choice. And then compare the histogram to that of the corrsponding JPEG (just like in your example), and it would be immediately clear where exactly the clipping occurs.

A lot of people don't realize that they have extra data in the highlights. I can't blame them, I've been there too. But it's the display program that isn't showing all the data, unless one starts moving some sliders.

(Edited to be be more concise and accurate, with respect to my thoughts).

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
RppNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow