New 8-15 mm vs Used 15 mm Fisheye

Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kevin Jorgensen
Contributing MemberPosts: 743Gear list
Like?
Re: New 8-15 mm vs Used 15 mm Fisheye
In reply to proudfather, Dec 24, 2012

proudfather wrote:

Yeah, like most, I probably wouldn't shoot fisheye routinely. For landscapes I typically shoot between 17-21 mm with a 17-40 mm lens. I also have a Rokonon 14 mm which I sometimes use. The fisheye probably wouldn't get much use as a landscape lens, however. It'd be more for special effects and creativity. I think $1300 is a bit much for any fisheye since they're used so infrequently. But It's hard to find new Canon lenses any cheaper than that these days. My only concern with the used 15 mm is the need for repair. That's exaggerated. But it's a minor concern.

Thanks for the link!

-proudfather

Kevin Jorgensen wrote:

I looked at the 8-15 and decided to go with the 15f2.8 fisheye, which I'll point out jumped to $850 over my way when it was discontinued. It wasn't the money difference it was the fact that I don't use my 16-35f2.8L II a lot at its widest on my 5DM2 and only do fisheye shots ocassionally. Unless you're planning to do a lot of fisheye shots I'd recommend the 15, if you don't have an ultrawide then the 8-15 may be better. Either way they're both good lenses. Have a look at what PT lens can do to a fisheye shot.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/funwithfisheyes.htm

I also have the Samyang/Rokinon 14f2.8. Its an acquired taste as you know. I've only just rediscovered mine as a walk around lens for my 500D. I wouldn't worry too much about faults, I doubt there's too much that can go wrong with the 15f2.8 fisheye. I've bought my entire collection of 4 bodies and 11 lenses off the ''grey'' market and have never had a problem with any of it inside or outside the warranty period. You'll enjoy using the fisheye, the question is will your friends enjoy looking at the results, it can get a bit tiresome. I don't use mine much, just like I don't use my 100f2.8 macro usm and the macro twin lite MT-24EX much either, but I like having them in the kit. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Kevin Jorgensen's gear list:Kevin Jorgensen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow